Hope you liked our previous article Basics of JSP [Start learning JSP from this article]- day1-pt-1 . Here we are back again with another article entitled10 Limitations Of Servlets in the context of development of a web application. So here we go-:
Servlets are powerful and sometimes they are bit cumbersome when it comes to generating complex HTML. Most servlets contain a little code that handles application logic and a lot more code that handles output formatting. This can make it difficult to separate and reuse portions of the code when a different output format is needed. For these reasons, web application developers turn towards JSP as their preferred servlet environment.
When we develop a web application, by using servlets, we may get the following limitations. Here I would like to list a few of them.
- Servlets of web application requires strong knowledge of Java.
- Servlets are very difficult for Non-Java Programmers to understand and implement.
- We know that, Servlet is a picture of both Presentation logic(HTML) and Business Logic(Java) . At the time of development of Servlet by by using both of the above (Presentation and Business Logic), it may become imbalance, because a Servlet developer may be good in Presentation logic, or in Business logic, But not in both the logic.
- Servlet never provides separation between or clarity between Presentation Logic and Business Logic.
So that servlets do not provide Parallel Development.
- If we do any modifications in a servlet, then we need to perform Re-deployment process i.e. Servlets modifications requires redeployment, which is one of the time consuming process.
- If we develop any web application with servlets, then it is mandatory for the web application developer to configure web-application configuration file. (Deployment descriptor- web.xml)
- Servlets do not provide any implicit object. [implicit objects generally provided by containers during the dynamic program execution ].
- Servlets do not contain a facility called Custom Tags Development.
- Servlets are not providing Global/Implicit exception handling facility.
- Servlets are not containing with Automatic Page compilation concept.
If you liked this article, do share it.